Careers QA Food Technologist
QA Food Technologist
Dept: Quality Assurance
29 March 2018
We seek to employ a dynamic Food Technologist to complete our Quality Assurance team. Cape Herb and Spice has grown from entrepreneurial roots into a global player and now employs over 500 people and operates over 3 sites in Cape Town. Centered around innovation and quality, Cape Herb and Spice gives any candidate a great opportunity to gain extensive experience and build an exciting career.
Role Purpose & Key Responsibilities
- Non-conformances system management – ensure NCR’s are resolved and trend NCR’s
- Waste Control: Act as the key contact person within the QA department with the waste control company.
- Offer NPD & sales department technical support through providing information needed by customers relating to QA roles and responsibilities
- Customer complaints: log, investigate and report on customer complaints accurately and quickly. Perform root cause analysis on complaints
- Compile reports where needed for certain customers, set-up regular QC sessions with the customer, answering queries and loading of information on customer’s portals.
- Supplier approval’s and maintenance –maintain supplier information on hand to allow on-going approval of supplier, ensuring updated information is requested timeously. Assist with bringing on board of new suppliers.
- Allergen Management System – to ensure that allergens are correctly identified within the supply chain by carefully reviewing supplier documentation and ensuring that documentation is regularly requested and kept up to date, assist as needed in testing for allergens and trending of any allergen test results received
- Assist in developing and maintaining of raw material & packaging specifications
- Internal Audits System: Conduct internal audits in accordance with the documented schedule and procedure.
- Form part of the HACCP team and conduct HACCP team activities assigned including trending for management reviews
- Prepare for audits and be actively involved in audits in helping answer questions posed. Perform review of procedures, documentation and practices annually & conduct training as needed. Proactively address procedural gaps noted.
- Ensure that End of life testing of products is performed in accordance with the schedule set.
- Coordinating and conducting Customer required Traceability, mock recalls and mass balances
- Where needed ensure that final products produced on site are tested in compliance with the testing program developed. Ensure any adhoc testing is done as needed. Assist in developing the testing schedule
- Technical day to day problem solving
- Project work required from time to time.
- Assist as necessary with evaluating products past shelf life to determine if shelf life may be extended.
- Research and improvements – stay abreast with industry standards and news, report new requirements and information within the CHS technical teams, conduct research into required topics and work on improvement of the system based on new research and information available.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills (in particular in English). Able to effectively communicate with staff at all levels
- Able to develop and maintain good, effective relationships with stakeholders e.g. suppliers
- Ability to conduct research and analyze data
- Proactive work ethic
- Honesty, Integrity & Reliability
- Strong attention to detail
- Problem-solving skills
- Critical thinking capabilities
- Apply urgency in work done – report faults urgently, take action urgently; results orientated. Ability to meet deadlines
- Self-motivated: Ability to work with little supervision & meet deadlines
- A willingness to listen
- Strong ability to multitask with an emphasis on collective, collaborative teamwork.
- Ability to organize yourself and others
- Follows rules and requirements, works within a framework of rules
- Knowledge of HACCP and GMPs
- Medium Microsoft Office skills
- Well-presented and professional in manner so as to represent Cape Herb and Spice in a positive manner
- Degree e.g. Bsc or Btech Science-Based qualification that is relevant to the food industry (includes microbiology/biochemistry/analytical chemistry)
- Min. 1 year’s food industry experience
This position requires overtime to be worked at required intervals.
If you meet the requirements and would like to apply for this vacancy, please email your CV to Therona.Pillay@capeherb.co.za no later than 5 April 2018.
HR Contact:Therona Pillay
Telephone:021 701 5140