Careers Food Technologist- Spice
Food Technologist- Spice
Dept: Quality Assurance
29 October 2021
Cape Herb & Spice has grown from entrepreneurial roots into a global FMCG player, employing over 500 people and operating across 3 sites in Cape Town. Centered around innovation and quality, Cape Herb and Spice gives any candidate a great opportunity to gain extensive international experience and build an exciting career.
• Provide excellent technical support to the sales team and customers by timeously and professionally investigating complaints & answering queries & questionnaires. Where needed research new and emerging topics.
• To ensure that the procedures in place are adhered to and implemented and update and improve these as necessary.
• To ensure that any deviations are resolved and that necessary actions are co-ordinated and carried out.
Key Position Objective:
Ensure that an adequate food safety and quality system is in place within the Westlake and ensure that the requirements of the system are adhered to and fully implemented.
Meet internal quality and food safety team goals / objectives set
Ensure complaints are communicated within the required timelines (ensuring that complaints are communicated to sales teams as well as internal teams e.g., production / QC etc)
Key Functional Areas:
• Conducting thorough complaint investigations. Execution of improvements as needed as a result of customer complaint investigations
• Customer (Sales) support on technical matters including
o Completion of customer questionnaires
o compiling COA’s / COC’s.
o Answering customer technical queries / co-ordinating and ensuring information is provided to customer
o Provide the required technical information on customer on-line portals
o Review the information provided by the customer on their portals and ensure that these are communicated in the organisation (e.g., On updated standards / requirements)
o Where needed you may be required to participate in meetings with customers or mail customers directly. This requires a high level of professionalism and always to be well presented.
o Close out customer audit corrective actions and co-ordinate internal close outs needed (cross departmental work)
o Ensure any customer requirements are updated into internal procedures and workflows and update internal documents
• Co-ordinate the Waste Control Activities at site working under the Supply Chain Executive in this function (this includes obtaining quotes, arranging collections, checking of invoices)
• Be the QA lead in the TACCP team (Co-ordinate the quarterly meetings, take minutes, and co-ordinate the activities of this team)
• Packaging Supplier Approvals - New Supplier approvals & on-going supplier approvals – Coordinate and ensure that there is a regular review of supplier documentation and the procedures related to packaging supplier approval. Co-ordinate that QA team activities towards this activity.
• Conducting & writing internal audits & perform regular site inspections
• Environmental Testing Practices – Co-ordinate the across site activities towards environmental testing system validation and the update / review of the testing schedule annually. Weekly ensure that the swabs are performed and co-ordinate that these are tested at the laboratories, results are checked and logged and
communicated internally. Where there is any failures – oversee and carry out the corrective actions
• Interpret test results & Report results of tests within the organization
• Completing Corrective Action Activities & Leading Root Cause Analysis sessions, where needed raising NCRs
• Conducting & Co-ordinating traceability studies, mass balances and mock recalls are conducted and implemented as per schedule (annually)
• Release incoming materials from the inspection system required from time to time for packaging materials (reviewing QC inspections done on packaging and if
sufficient releasing the material & ensuring that the correct information is entered into the release system)
• Day-to-day technical problem solving and factory support & Troubleshooting
• Data Analysis and Trending
• Project work may be required of this role
• Member of the HACCP Team & assist the QA systems lead with co-ordinating the requirements of the HACCP Team
• Conducting Training
• Updating procedures and documents
Required Knowledge & Skills:
• Sound knowledge of microbiology in relation to testing requirements for this role and result interpretation
• Sound knowledge of legislation
• Good research skills
Required Prior Learning/ Experience
• B.Tech Food Technology/ B. Sc Food Science or other relevant science related degree. Copies of qualifications must be submitted with a CV
• Minimum 1 - 2 years + industry experience
• Candidates with higher qualifications with less experience would be considered
• Prior training in internal auditing or HACCP is an advantage
• Proficient in working in Microsoft programs (outlook, excel, word)
• Own reliable transport
• Systematic way of thinking
• Passion for organisation
If you have not received a response within two weeks of application submission, kindly consider your application unsuccessful.
To consider any application for employment, we will have to process your personal information. The Protection of Personal Information Act, 4 of 2013 (POPIA), provides that when one processes another’s personal information,
such collection, retention, dissemination and use of that person’s personal information must be done in a lawful and transparent manner.
To give effect to the above, we are required to provide you with information regarding the processing of your personal information. This information is recorded under the HR Processing Notice, which can be accessed and viewed on the Company website at https://www.libstar.co.za/legal/. Printed copies of this Processing Notice can also be accessed from the HR department. We kindly request that you read the HR Processing Notice to ensure that you understand how Libstar uses and processes your personal information.
HR Contact:Mary-Rose Wrigley