Careers Food Technologist- Tea
Food Technologist- Tea
Dept: Quality Assurance
Location: Capricorn Business Park
15 February 2022
Cape Herb & Spice has grown from entrepreneurial roots into a global FMCG player, employing over 500 people and operating across 3 sites in Cape Town. Centered around innovation and quality, Cape Herb and Spice gives any candidate a great opportunity to gain extensive international experience and build an exciting career.
- Ensure that the food safety and quality system is implemented, communicated, and upheld at the site on a day-to-day basis.
- Provide excellent technical support to customers by timeously and professionally investigating complaints & answering queries & questionnaires. Where needed research new and emerging topics.
- To ensure that any deviations are resolved and that necessary actions are co-ordinated and carried out.
- Ensure complaints are answered timeously and thorough investigations are conducted.
- Ensure non-conformances are investigated, managed, and communicated timeously
- Support the team in achieving objectives to implement BRC at the site & pass all audits
- Provide technical support to the factory & report on any cases of non-compliance to procedures & assist in their correction.
- Meet internal quality and food safety team goals / objectives set
Key Functional Areas:
- Ensure complaints are answered timeously and thorough investigations are conducted. Support the sales team with required technical information e.g., completing customer questionnaires, creating COA’s / COC’s, submitting samples for the customer to QC. This may include participating and presenting in customer meetings. This requires a well presented individual.
- Ensure non-conformances are investigated, controlled, and communicated timeously
- Completing Corrective Action Activities & Leading Root Cause Analysis sessions, where needed raising NCRs
- Conducting & writing internal audits & perform regular site inspections. This role requires working outside of standard work hours to conduct audits during night shift from time to time.
- Act as the company Hygiene Officer: Develop the cleaning procedures, supervise the cleaners, order the necessary consumables and equipment needed for cleaning, , co-ordinate and arrange deep cleans. This includes validating the cleaning procedures. This role does require working overtime from time to time to oversee deep cleaning done outside of production hours.
- Act as the company Pest Control Officer: Oversee the pest control activities at site, liaise with the pest control provider, ensure that pests are reported and treated for, conduct regular inspections for pests, arrange audits. This role does require working overtime from time to time to oversee pest control activities done outside of production hours.
- Set up and conduct tastings: Prepacking/ pre-blending, pre-shipment, black tea control and receiving (if required).
- Ensure measuring and monitoring devices related to Quality activities (e.g., scales) are complaint to standard, suitable and well maintained and co-ordinate calibration activities of these.
- Overseeing the testing of incoming packaging materials, stand in when needed for raw material intakes. Assist with Release incoming materials from the inspection system.
- Conduct validation studies on metal detectors and other defined steps in the process.
- Arrange for product testing at external labs in accordance with the set schedule, report results, check results and handle any non-conformances arising from the results of testing.
- Ensure that the retention samples are taken by the QCs & stored correctly.
- Monitor freezing cycle compliance report results internally, action any failed results, manage documentation requirements around this requirement
- Evaluating Packaging Supplier Approvals - New Supplier approvals & on-going supplier approvals – Coordinate and ensure that there is a regular review of supplier documentation and the procedures related to packaging supplier approval.
- Updating buying specs and maintaining information on specifications.
- Day-Day technical problem solving and factory support & trouble shooting
- Data analysis and trending: customer complaints, GMP’s, NCR’s, objectives, environmental results.
- Projects – run and set up projects as required from time to time
- Member of the HACCP Team: assist with HACCP review & assist the QA systems lead with co-ordinating the requirements of the HACCP Team.
- Participate in driving food safety & culture and associated activities
- Ensure that all spheres of the HACCP system are adhered to: Hygiene, foreign object control, pest control, allergen management and GMP’s.
- Conducting Training and update training programs in accordance
- Updating procedures and documents
- Research and improvements & stay abreast with legal updates and guidelines
- Conduct risk assessments as required by customers or through requirement from audits etc
- Assist with External Third-Party Audits, customer audits & certification audits and with the audit preparation activities at the site
Required Knowledge & Skills:
- Able to perform/partake regular tasting of products produced
- Sound knowledge of legislation
- Good research skills
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills at all levels of organization (in English)
Required Prior Learning/ Experience
- B.Tech Food Technology/ B. Sc Food Science or other relevant science related degree. Copies of qualifications must be submitted with a CV.
- Minimum 2 years + industry experience
- Candidates with higher qualifications with less experience would be considered.
- Prior training in internal auditing or HACCP or BRC is an advantage
- Proficient in working in Microsoft programs (outlook, excel, word)
- Own reliable transport
- Proficient in working with Microsoft programs (outlook, excel, word)
- Own reliable transport
- Detail orientated
- Ability to work independently and in a team
- Ability to work systematically
- Have a passion for organisation
- Proactive, energetic, positive personality
- Display urgency in work tasks
If you have not received a response within two weeks of submitting your application, kindly consider your application unsuccessful.
To consider any application for employment, we will have to process your personal information. The Protection of Personal Information Act, 4 of 2013 (POPIA), provides that when one processes another’s personal information, such collection, retention, dissemination and use of that person’s personal information must be done in a lawful and transparent manner.
To give effect to the above, we are required to provide you with information regarding the processing of your personal information. This information is recorded under the HR Processing Notice, which can be accessed and viewed on the Company website at https://www.libstar.co.za/legal/. Printed copies of this Processing Notice can also be accessed from the HR department. We kindly request that you read the HR Processing Notice to ensure that you understand how Libstar uses and processes your personal information.
HR Contact:Mary-Rose Wrigley